Olympic Preparation

Submitted by Elizabeth Mitchell on the 2024 Spring semester program in Paris, France

From the moment I landed in Paris a week ago, it was clear that there was a special buzz in the city, and throughout my first seven days here it is clear what this buzz is all about. The summer 2024 Olympics are being held in Paris and the preparations being made are exciting and extravagant. They already have one of the tourist centers, Hotel de ville, decked out in Paris 2024 advertisements. There is Olympics merchandise being sold across the city, and even a countdown to the opening ceremony outside the Eiffel Tower. There are even some less obvious signs of the Olympics coming. On my first Friday in Paris, my new roommates and I climbed the Eiffel Tower, but the top floor was closed. The second floor that we were able to get to was swarming with Eiffel Tower engineers who all seemed to be working on the top level which was closed. It is rumored they are preparing the Eiffel Tower for a special opening ceremony surprise, which is why the top will be closed for so long. It has been a thrill to see all of these preparations being made even though I will not be here during the games. I feel like I am getting to experience two magnificent things at one time, Paris and the Games. I am excited to continue to watch preparations being made and even more excited to watch the games later this year. (Submitted January 15, 2024)