American Discovers Public Transport

Submitted by Jules Scott on the 2024 Spring semester program in Paris, France…

Stepping off of the plane at Charles de Gaulle airport is the most American I have ever felt in my life. I chose to study abroad in the most visited tourist city in the world not for its popularity, but its opportunities as a Fine Arts student. Instantly from how people dressed coming back from the same international flights I was on set the tone for how different this would be. Everyone is trim, chic, and distinctly Parisian – exactly what everyone at home had been trying to stress to me. And for all of this anticipated culture shock, does that mean I was wise enough to learn the language?

No. Not even one round on DuoLingo.

This week has been trial by fire in realizing if I want to succeed in setting a good example for Americans in Paris, this is going to be a complete change in how I interact with others. I have been lucky enough to befriend a group of proficient French speaking Americans, and I’ve learned if you don’t want to stick out like a red-white-and-blue thumb, you must do as the locals do. One of the best places to learn this is on the métro. 

The métro is an extremely efficient way of getting around the city – there are stops never a 10 minute walk away from any given location in the inner arrondissements of Paris. Unlike in American cities on the east coast that I am used to, the métro is timely, safe, and used by the locals. When in public spaces, keep your voice down. I have opted for the mute approach, however it is good measure if you are proficient in French to show that off in case pickpockets are nearby and are looking for bumbling, clueless tourists. You should also be sure to keep track of which stop you are at as there typically isn’t a voiceover that tells you where you are when you stop somewhere. Finally, be thankful for a city with accessible modes of public transportation – and that you don’t have to parallel park on the teeny-tiny streets of Paris. (Submitted January 13, 2024)