A Shift in Culture: Spain Experience

Submitted by Jason Rizzuto on the 2024 Spring semester program in Madrid, Spain…

Just like that, my first 7 days in a foreign, yet welcoming new habitat, have concluded. There have been moments of shock, feelings of warmth in new budding friendships, but most of all, excitement for what is yet to come. Although this is my second time studying abroad for a semester, there is quite literally nothing you can do to simmer the anticipation, and the wonder you feel upon landing in a new place. 

Something that stood out to me immediately, was the culture surrounding tapas. The picture I provided was right before my friends and myself wandered into a beautifully decorated, ornate “tapas bar”. I immediately was reminded of small gastropubs near my hometown in America, where singular plates could easily cost upwards of $30. I was truly floored when the delicious, handmade plates for a group of 4 totaled up to just about $35. The wallet-friendly, yet amazingly tasty experience welcomed me to a part of the culture that I had not yet experienced in Spain, and was an awesome way to kick off my journey. (January 14, 2024)