Discovering Florence’s Street Markets

Submitted by James Stangl on the 2024 Winter ENGL program in Florence …

I discovered the vendors around Florence’s Mercato Centrale (Central Market) on the day of my arrival. While heading to grab dinner, I turned onto a street lined with tall, overhanging carts filled with leather bags and soccer kits. Being the sole person on the street, nearly every salesperson enthusiastically introduced their products as I strolled by. “Wow, they must be desperate for a sale,” I thought, refusing to acknowledge them, as all my focus was directed towards getting my first taste of Italian pasta.

A few days later, I met Kieran and Pat, two friends from school, for coffee near the Duomo. After catching up and relishing our cappuccinos, Kieran suggested, “Hey, we’re heading to the leather market now; would you like to come?” Fortunately, I had extra time before our afternoon class, so I joined them. Walking with Kieran and Pat towards the market I passed by days ago, we spent the next two hours exploring the stalls, attempting to strike deals.

Although each of us had different items in mind, we quickly discovered that most carts offered similar merchandise. Kieran made the first purchase, acquiring a leather wallet from one of the initial stands we encountered. Kieran’s transaction imparted a valuable lesson before I began negotiating for myself – the customer holds all the leverage in negotiations. Because the products from cart to cart are substitutes, customers can easily walk to another seller if dissatisfied with the offered price. After negotiating with five different carts for an AC Milan soccer kit, I managed to secure the kit for fifteen euros, far below the 50 euros most carts initially quoted.

As I headed back to the hotel, I found the dynamics of the market fascinating. While the sellers primarily offered identical products, each experience felt distinct. Some sellers were rigid, others flexible with pricing. Some were overly respectful, making you feel valued, while others attempted to intimidate you into purchasing at a higher price. Some were amicable and conversational, others focused and to-the-point. This diversity, coupled with the continuous negotiation that resembled a game of Monopoly, provided a thrilling adrenaline rush and added to my memories from studying abroad in Florence. (Submitted February 2, 2024)