Venturing in Venice

Submitted by Nicholas Davis on the 2024 Winter FINC/ENGL program in Italy…

Me in front of a beautiful water way on a bridge

Ever since I was a kid, the idea of Venice frightened me. A plot of land just floating in a town filled with water. Something in my mind couldn’t imagine how this could be one of the most beautiful places in all of Italy. Stepping off the train, I was in complete awe. I couldn’t have been more wrong. It didn’t process in my brain that after all these years, I actually made it to Venice. It shocked me how normal it felt to walk around. Just like any other city, but tight alley ways filled with water, and gorgeous gondolas gliding under the abundance of historically important bridges. Being in Italy for 3 weeks now I got used to reckless drivers, but this was completely eliminated. It made Venice so peaceful with how quiet it was, despite the flocks of tourists. I can’t get over the selection of seafood, which obviously makes perfect sense. I expanded my palette, and kept an open mind in the importance of this different cuisine. It helps that I’m already a seafood fanatic! The most important thing that I learned from the two days I spent there was that I should’ve brought a greater amount of euros! They don’t warn you how expensive it is. Out of all the places I visited, even hot spots like Florence and Rome, Venice burned my pockets the most. Despite going home with less than I wanted to, it was so worth it, and I’m proud of myself for getting over that childhood fear! With one more week left of this grand experience, I am not ready to go home, as I’m starting to get into the groove of the Italian lifestyle. All in all, what an experience. I’m going to continue to make the most of every moment, and am excited for what this last week has to offer! (Submitted on January 28, 2024)