The End of a Journey

Submitted by Emma Smyth on the 2024 Winter ENGL program in Athens, Greece…

As the final week of winter session comes to a close, I have had a lot of time to reflect on my experiences in Athens and other parts of Greece. I have made amazing friends, immersed myself into a new culture, learned new things, and took so many risks. One of these risks was jumping into the very cold Gulf of Argolis which touches the shores of Nafplio. After a four day trip to the beautiful town of Nafplio, my class walked to a quiet and rocky beach. I assumed that I would dip my feet in the water given the temperature, but I wanted to make my experience unforgettable. So, along with my peers, we ran into the rocky and cold waters. After the initial shock, we got used to the water and enjoyed swimming. This experience resembles my time spent studying abroad. There was fear and anxiety followed by a rush of joy and gratitude. Though I miss my home, I am so incredibly grateful for my time spent studying abroad. Greece is an amazing country with so much to offer. I cannot wait to reflect on my time here and to take new risks! (Submitted on January 27, 2024)

The Athens ENGL 2024 class swimming in Nafplio