Village Ventures to Cityscapes 

Submitted by Mia Volpe on the 2024 Winter FINC/ENGL program in Italy…

During the second week of my study abroad trip, my classmates and I embarked on a journey to the cities of Florence and Venice, departing from the quaint town of Volterra. The transition proved to be a substantial one, in the most favorable manner. While Volterra exuded its own charm and beauty, the allure of Florence and Venice was incomparable. 

Florence distinguished itself with a sense of normalcy, marking a return to civilization that contrasted with the simplicity of life in Volterra. The city’s dynamic pace and beautiful attractions offered a stark contrast, leaving an unmatched impression. The culinary delights,  particularly the paninis and pasta, were a gastronomic experience unlike anything I anticipate having back home. 

Venice, akin to my native New York, epitomized a bustling metropolis with a perpetual whirlwind of activity. However, its aesthetic charm surpassed that of my hometown. Navigating the city’s waterways by boat was a novel and extraordinary experience, with gondola drivers demonstrating an impressive blend of skill and diligence. The daily site of gazing out from my window onto the water became a cherished routine. 

The city’s culinary offerings, especially the abundance of seafood, exceeded expectations,  contributing to its status as my preferred destination thus far. While Venice claimed the top spot in my preferences, I would wholeheartedly recommend exploring both Florence and Venice to anyone venturing to Italy. (Submitted on January 23, 2024)