My first time in Europe!

Submitted by Caroline Powell on the 2024 Winter ENGL program in Italy…

Me and other students on top of the tower in San Gimignano where we saw the view of the city

I couldn’t believe it was actually happening – the trip to Italy I’ve been talking about for months now. It is still shocking to me that I’m writing this at my hotel in Florence. This week has been filled with so many adventures, laughs, tears, and most importantly connections. I was nervous about meeting everyone, but the very first night those nerves disappeared. Everyone was so friendly and kind; we immediately clicked and got to know each other very quickly. The first official night in Florence, our CEACAPA advisor, Lorenzo, treated us to an amazing four course meal where we got to learn about where we’re all from, why we took the class, and what we’re most excited about for the travel writing course. I wanted to take this opportunity to study in Florence because I’ve never been to Europe before and I love writing about anything, especially travel. I think it is an entertaining skill to learn and develop – plus it’s a great way to document my memories while I’m here!

Before class on Wednesday, we had a quick market tour with a guide who showed us all different kinds of food popular in Italy. It was interesting to hear about how food plays a big part in the culture here. I personally love how it is expected to go out to eat and spend a long time relaxing and eating whereas in the United States we usually try to eat fast because we’re constantly in a rush. On Thursday we toured the Santa Croce right in Florence. It was so beautiful that I teared up walking inside. I loved how our guide explained everything to us and I thought it was so fascinating how many famous people were buried there. Between Galileo, Michelangelo, Tanto and more, I was engrossed by the history and understanding even more than what I knew about their impact on history not just in Italy, but in the world.

Friday we had a full day planned where we toured the Duomo di Siena, a medieval cathedral in the center of Siena. I always find myself mesmerized by the architecture; I can’t even fathom how someone begins with such complexity in a building like that. I could stare at all the details of the statues and marbled stone for days. Our guide provided us with so much information on the history of the church and Siena’s importance in catholicism, as there were six popes from Siena (or have connection to Siena). The works of art have so much intention behind every single detail, that it is difficult to express their beauty into words. If you ever get a chance to visit, you will understand – even my pictures don’t do it justice. The same day we also visited San Gimignano, a gorgeous Italian hill town encompassed with medieval towers and houses. Since it is Winter, many of the places were closed. But, it was peaceful to roam around a quiet town and climb up the top of a tower to see a wonderful view of all the mountains from the top. This was the perfect first week to this quick study abroad trip, and I am so grateful to have the privilege of visiting such a beautiful place enriched with captivating history and culture. (Submitted on January 20, 2024)