Historic Island Tour of Barbados

Submitted by Caitlin Greeff on the 2024 Winter HDFS program in Barbados…

The Historical Island Tour our group took shared a lot about Bajan culture. This experience has heightened our time on the island and has taught us more than I could have ever imagined. The tour started at Harrison’s Cave where we did a tour of the cave with the stalagmites. It is a big tourist location, which is Barbados’ main industry. Each of the different spots in the cave had a different name and a story behind it. Driving through Barbados and seeing all of the sugar cane fields showed how important it is here. I learned about Crop Over and how it celebrates the end of the sugar cane season. While passing the Morgan Lewis Sugar Mill, I learned that the wind-driven mill crushed the sugar mill to produce juice. This is an aspect of sugar mills that I did not previously know. I also learned that every parish in Barbados has an Anglican Church. There was a lot of interesting and valuable information that I learned throughout the Historical Island Tour. I am looking forward to the next two weeks where I will have the opportunity to learning more about about Bajan culture. (Submitted on January 20, 2024)

photos from Harrisons Cave and other landmarks from the Historic Island Tour of Barbados.