Firenze: A Truly Breathtaking and Unique City

Submitted by Isabella Ciabattoni on the 2024 Winter HLTH program in Italy…

The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore

This week, I traveled to Florence with my study abroad group. The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore is a unique aspect of Florence and has become one of the most popular attractions in all of Italy. I learned that this church is the fourth largest in the entire world. Upon viewing this church, I was left speechless because the architectural design and details were truly breathtaking. It is something that you can view online, but so much better in-person. I continue to be in awe of how they constructed such an incredible structure along with adding in intricate paintings and designs. The distinctive patterns tell a story of religion that is unique to the city of Florence.

I also wanted to highlight the truffles that are specific to Florence. I learned that truffles are grown here, which is why it is added to so many dishes. I have tried this type of food/garnish before in the United States, but the ones in Florence are different. The taste is very fresh and much more flavorful. I had it on many dishes when we went to restaurants, but my favorite was the pasta with a mushroom and truffle sauce. The dish was incredibly tasty and I truly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend seeing the famous Cathedral in Florence as well as trying a dish with truffles. Even if you do not like truffles, you may be surprised by the unique taste of the ones from Florence. (Submitted on January 19, 2024)