Exploring Dunedin, NZ

Submitted by Owen Bubczyk on the 2024 Winter KAAP program in New Zealand…

A photo of me on the beach with my binoculars; this was during a wildlife tour, where we saw penguins, seals, and sea lions

My classmates and I have been exploring Dunedin ever since we arrived at the start of this month! We have seen panoramic views of the South Island by hiking to high peaks overseeing Dunedin. Each week, we have read scientific articles related to trekking poles and cycling. We have applied what we learned to our excursions. While biking 60 kilometers on the Central Otago Rail Trail, for example, we took time to understand how seat height and pedaling cadence affected our rating of perceived exertion (RPE) and the muscles we were using. While hiking three miles uphill to Mt. Cargill, all of us used hiking poles to understand their benefits of reducing lower extremity fatigue.

It has been exciting to discuss the cultural differences with those who live in Dunedin. Of course, a big interest of mine is sports. So, I spoke with the Head of College at our accommodation, St. Margaret’s College, about their perspective on American Football. Conversely, she told me all about their country’s passion for rugby, netball, and curling. Our group already had a curling lesson, and we look forward to further lessons in rugby, netball, and surfing. We also explored culture in New Zealand by splitting into small groups and visiting various museums. The Otago Museum, Settlers Museum, and iSite Museum are just some attractions we have visited to learn about the history of the country. New Zealand natives readily adopted a lot of the cultural differences that explorers brought along, much like those living in North America did. Some of these adoptions have included sports and physical activity. We have discussed how these used to only include men, but now include men and women. In fact, some sports such as netball are female-dominated.

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed exploring the nature that Dunedin has to offer. I look forward to continuing my journey through New Zealand with my classmates. Next, we are off to Queenstown, known as the thrill capital of the world. It should be a lot of fun! (Submitted on January 15, 2024)

Me cycling on the Central Otago Rail Trail