Week One in London

Submitted by Justin O’Toole on the 2022 summer session program in London sponsored by the Department of Art and Design…

This week was quite difficult to get used to, but the tea & snacks at The Art Workers Guild made every morning much better. The days were packed with artist talks, museum visits, and separate group explorations. I’d have to say my favorite parts of London so far are the museums and the FOOD! The full English breakfast has been by far the best meal I have had since landing on Sunday (and even better, the place is a lovely 10 minute walk from the flats). I was very skeptical about the beans on toast and the blood pudding, but I was wrong to judge. 10/10.

We visited the British Museum and the Tate Modern, and I’d have to say Roy Lichtenstein’s ‘Whaam!’ was the one work that stuck out the most to me, being a comic book fan. Looking to next week and the weeks to come, I’m sure the days will get better, the artist talks better and better, and the adventures with friends will be memorable.