Greece: Birthday Bliss

Submitted by Hannah Kirby on the 2022 spring semester program in Athens, Greece…

I was one of the few lucky souls to be able to spend my birthday in Greece. While a 21st birthday isn’t as big of a deal in Europe, my roommates made sure to make me feel special. We spent the weekend exploring the streets of Athens. We had a decadent brunch composed only of only desserts. I spent hours shopping in antique and vintage stores, like a child in their grandparents’ attic. I found so many birthday treasures to bring home. I even had a waiter serenade me on camera to finish out the night.

As if the weekend couldn’t be any better, we met people from all over the United States (Colorado, Georgia, Massachusetts), Germany, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Israel. The group was amazing, welcoming, and more than willing to celebrate my birthday with us. I felt so loved and happy. It was my first birthday without my family and these strangers were willing to become my temporary family for the night. I am grateful for them and the experience.

A photo of the antique market that I walked through.
My dessert from my breakfast brunch.