Greece: Happy on Hydra

Submitted by Hannah Kirby on the 2022 spring semester program in Athens, Greece…

This weekend, it was just my room-mate and I left to journey around Greece, as our other suite-mates were traveling out of the country. We decided to visit Hydra, one of the closer islands that’s only a two hour ferry ride away. As soon as we stepped off the ferry, we were greeted with Hydra hospitality. Our AirBnB host had met us at the port and guided us to the house. Afterwards, he gave us so many suggestions of places to go on the island to get the locals’ perspective.

The next morning, we got up early as we had a busy day of exploring ahead of us. As we walked to the Hydra Port for breakfast, we were happily greeted by the dozens of Hydra donkeys. Hydra is one of the few islands where motor vehicles are prohibited, therefore, these mules and donkeys are a main form of transportation. In the spirit of this, we decided to take a horseback ride with Harriet’s Hydra Horses. Harriet has been on the island since she was ten years old when she and her mother came for a two week holiday. Her mother fell in love with the island and the rest is history.

While on the ride, we talked to Harriet. She explained that in the usual winter seasons the island is home to roughly 3,000 residents. In the summer season, however, the resident numbers are up to 9,000 residents and approximately 5,000 tourists. With each year, more and more tourists are opting to come in the off-season due to the cheaper prices which means more residents are staying on the island and more stores are staying open. This is great for students like me who have no choice, but to travel in the winter.

I can’t help, but wonder if this trend will continue throughout all travel destinations. I’m sure with COVID-19, people are itching to travel and on a budget – I know I am.