England: Soccer Match

Submitted by Anna Reynolds on the 2022 spring semester program in London, England…

While the amount of sporting events I’ve been to in the United States is limited, nothing can compare to going to a football (soccer) game in London. Getting there early is a must because you will be there for when the players get bussed into the stadium, and there is a chance you might get a peek of some of the players before the game. Getting into the stadium is a mad rush, but once you are inside, it is like you’ve entered another universe. My friend Maria and I went to the Chelsea versus Plymouth match, and as soon as you enter the stadium, you are in a mix of blue, the Chelsea color, and green, the Plymouth color. Energy is high with anticipation, and you can get pretty close to the field before the match, depending on where you are sitting.

Maria and I were able to go right up to the barrier between the field and the stands to take pictures of the field. When the players enter the stadium on the field, the crowd erupts with cheers and boos as they are getting ready for the match to begin. Once play begins, there is no moment when a team is not being cheered, and when a team scores, the noise is deafening. I loved being in person for a game that means so much to people. These little boys were sitting in front of us on the edge of their seats the entire time, asking their Dad if Chelsea was going to lose. They were so scared when Chelsea was down 1-0 and then tied 1-1. Chelsea won the game in overtime, and even though I’m not a huge fan of the sport, I was on the edge of my seat with heart-pounding, just hoping that they pulled out the win. I’m so happy that I was able to experience a match because it is such a big part of English culture.