England: Comfort to Combat Culture Shock

Submitted by Gabriella Cammarata on the 2022 spring semester program in London, England…

I’d like to start a trend in my blog posts–call it a “keep it real” nature, something that I wish others would have done for me or things I wish I’d known before going abroad. That being said, here goes:

UD does a great job of preparing their students for experiencing culture shock. But really, you can never be too prepared. I often think of that diagram they show us (the mountain, was it?) showing the highs and lows of study abroad. As someone who’s studied abroad once before (first semester freshman year no less), I thought that this time I’d be invincible. Here’s the reality:

Culture shock varies depending on location and experience (also expectations). If you go into study abroad expecting to experience culture shock, odds are you probably will. However, if you go in with an open mind, you’ll be much better off. As for location and experience, experiencing what you know is always easier. Hearing people in London speaking English, offering “American style” eats (and living really), and being considered a “global city” is (subjectively) a cake walk compared to, say, the eternal city of Rome. Now, even going into Rome with the advantage of speaking Italian and being named Gabriella Cammarata :), the transition was difficult. However, the learning experience is so rewarding, it’s priceless. Enough of the heavy. I’m here to tell you how to combat culture shock without clinging to “comfort.”

Both times I’ve been abroad, whenever I’ve felt lonely or homesick, (without realizing it) I’ve created a type of dependency on routine. While this isn’t exactly a bad thing, it was expensive and didn’t allow for much flexibility (a key component of study abroad). In Rome, it was a chocolate muffin and an iced coffee from Mammos. In London, Krispy Kreme donuts (open 24 hours). Noticing a trend? American comfort food. Now, the only way to break the cycle after you finally realize A. how much money you’re dumping and B. where your time, effort, and money! could go instead, is to break the cycle. Studying abroad should be about trying something new, stepping out of your comfort zone, and exploring. Always take care of yourself first and make sure you are focusing on your mental health. But you can do this while also making the most of your experience! Go for a walk and find a local spot. Google “best X in Y.” Find what you want, while also immersing yourself in the culture that’s there for the taking. All that being said, did I just search “London bagel closest to NY?” Admittedly, I did. It’s valid and allowed to satisfy those cravings and have a little piece of home away from home, but every once in a while.

If not, you’ll find yourself stuck in a vicious cycle and will never truly be able to combat culture shock.

I don’t mean to sound negative, put a damper on anyone’s study abroad dreams, or create any preconceived notions (they usually aren’t “one size fits all,” and therefore false), but I would just like to be honest and prepare my peers for what is to come…spoiler alert: it’s amazing! And…spoiler alert again, although culture shock is very real and it may happen to you, I can almost guarantee you, that looking back fondly on your study abroad experience, you will never recount the tale of culture shock, unless you’re writing for the UD abroad blog :), but rather the amazing places, foods, drinks, experiences, etc. you discovered by spreading your wings and flying…metaphorically speaking, of course…unless you go skydiving abroad…which is amazing…but be careful.

That’s all from me for this week. I will be back soon for my next episode of Keeping Up with Cammarata 🙂

Camden Market – Over 1,000 shops and stalls selling fashion, music, art and food next to Camden Lock.
Saint Pancras railway station is a central London railway terminus on Euston Road in the London Borough of Camden.