Denmark: Old and New in Copenhagen

Submitted by Caldonia Carmello on the 2022 spring semester DIS study abroad program in Copenhagen, Denmark…

Moving to a new country has been by far the most exciting experience of my life. Everyday brings new challenges and discoveries, many of which I had never even imagined before leaving the United States. One of the first things I noticed is the difference between American cities and where I am currently living, Copenhagen, Denmark. Because Copenhagen has been growing since the 1100’s when it was founded, there are many areas of rich culture that can’t be seen on the streets of places like Philadelphia. Wandering Denmark, I am constantly reminded of the marriage of new and old whether it be in the culture, traditions, or architecture. Many of the social ideals from centuries ago which helped Denmark survive through periods of war have remained. This includes the priority of public welfare, resulting in Copenhagen being one of the safest cities in the world. Many people are comfortable leaving strollers with children outside of restaurants with no worries of them being stolen, something I couldn’t imagine seeing in the United States. The juxtaposition of new and old  is also evident walking through the cobblestoned streets lined with both historic and modern architecture. The Danish have found a way to honor the historical value of the city while also building new and beautiful buildings. I am excited to see more of Denmark and delve deeper into the culture as the semester progresses.

The Royal Danish Library also known as the Black Diamond. The brick buildings on the left are centuries old and on the right is a modern black edition, merging new and old.
City hall square (Rådhuspladsen) in Copenhagen where historic and modern buildings line the plaza.`