Italy: Culture Shock

Submitted by Kinga Niewiadomski on the 2022 winter session program in Italy sponsored by the College of Health Sciences…

Ciao! I just completed my first official week in Italy and the differences in cultures definitely came as a shock! From breakfast to the healthcare system I had to quickly adapt to many different aspects of Italian culture. Everyone in my group had a rude awakening when we realized that breakfast only consists of coffee, fruit, and one croissant, a complete 180 from the typical breakfast we normally enjoy, however you realize that it is more than enough to get you through a six hour shift at the hospital.

Another huge difference is the universal healthcare offered in Italy. Wanting to have a career in the medical field, I am fortunate enough to shadow highly ranked doctors in a multitude of specializations. This week, I shadowed multiple doctors in general surgery and was able to view four different kinds of surgeries. While the surgeries were very impressive, I was even more shocked to learn that they are completely free to the patient! I was able to talk to a fifth year medical student and was able to compare and contrast our two healthcare systems. She was very surprised to hear that an average ambulance call costs around $1,000 dollars and I was surprised to hear that they only pay €15 euros (around $16 dollars) for one.

My hospital group and our surgeon, Professor Andrea Pietrabissa, who we shadowed. He was very exited to show us the new 3-D printing ward that allows surgeons to 3-D print exact replicas of the patients organs to practice on before surgery. I was given the honor of holding the skull!

Outside of the hospital, I was also able to visit the fashion capital of Italy: Milan. Milan was absolutely breathtaking with its beautiful architecture and historic columns putting NYC’s sky scrappers to shame. I truly felt European when I and my Italy friend Ali Schaffer ordered two espressos at 3:00 pm in the heart of Milan and just people watched, before shopping in Milan during fashion week. Overall, this week has been so eye-opening in helping me realize the number of different customs and cultures outside of America and I can not wait for the following weeks!!

M friend (Ali Schaffer) (right) that I met during this program and I sitting at a cafe in the heart of Milan. While sipping on our coffee we were able to people watch and truly bask in the beautiful architecture that Italy has to offer. We then proceeded to spent A LOT of money using the excuse that it is fashion week.