Hawaii: The Venus Pool

Submitted by Tyler Phommachanh on the 2022 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the  Joseph R. Biden, Jr. School of Public Policy and Administration…

The “Road To Hana” is one of the most dangerous roads that you can go on in the US. There are rockslides, narrow turns, slick roads, one-way bridges, blind spots and so many more dangers. Yet, the Road To Hana also features some of the most beautiful places that I’ve ever seen. Cliffs and waterfalls that go down for hundreds of feet straight into the ocean. Or a multitude of land types such as farms, jungles and towns that seems to change every five minutes. There was a lava tube that was pitch black that continued to move into the ground that seemed like for an eternity. But the first place we visited dubbed “The Venus Pool” was an unforgettable one. The trail was welcoming to visitors, but also served as a warning to not be careless. We climbed down a marked jungle path that led us to a beautiful lake with green water and boundless cliffs that gave a sense of mystery and excitement. Large rocks served as a way to see the location in it’s true beauty with birds swooping overhead of our class as if to greet us. The gentle breeze of the sun and the shade of the cliffs made for an excellent spot to sit down and just to relax.

We had woken up at 5:00 am and drove for 3 hours straight to get to our destination. What I saw was not just a place to swim or relax, but instead, a place to meditate; to enjoy the bond that we share with each other; to appreciate the work of both the drivers and the navigators of our trip to safely traverse the Road to Hana; and to appreciate my classmates who were having the time of their lives exploring the area with the endless number of discoveries that the area had to offer.

To me, enjoyment is not just me having fun, but the others in my group having the time of their lives. It’s easy to forget the simple things when there is something grand before your eyes, but if you take a step back and appreciate not just the destination, but the journey too; I’m sure that you will find something new to appreciate every single time.

Waioka Pond (AKA Venus Pool)