Hawaii: New Friends Learning About Health

Submitted by Elizabeth Donovan on the 2022 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the College of Health Sciences…

My Name is Elizabeth Donovan and I am a student participating in the UD Global Health Study Abroad Program in Hawaii.

I arrived in Hawaii on Wednesday and wanted to share and reflect on my experience thus far. On Wednesday, I visited the Iolani Palace where I learned all about King Kalakuna and Queen Liliuokalani. Queen Liliuokalani had so much influence when she was in power, which was extremely rare for a woman in the 1800s. She cared deeply about education and healthcare for the underserved which was very important. Below is a photo of a replica of a dress she wore.

Photo from Iolani Palace of Queen Liliuokalani dress

On Thursday I traveled to the Bishop Museum where I learned about the importance of holistic medicine. Hawaiian used to use plants as medicine as well as use massages as a form of medicine. This is interesting as holistic medicine is starting to become present in today’s time. Additionally, on Thursday I saw the Halona Blowhole Lookout. It is one of Hawaii’s natural wonders that was created thousands of years ago. The Blowhole was formed after volcanic eruptions. I really enjoyed my time here. It was absolutely beautiful and brought me a lot of peace.

Halona Blowhole Lookout
Picture with friends I just made in front of the Halona Blowhole Lookout. I did not know anyone before attending this trip but have already met so many kind people.

Picture of my Roommate and me in front of one of the famous surf boards along the Historic Waikiki Trail.

On Friday I started off the day doing Yoga with the locals. I was able to learn about another form of holistic medicine through yoga and meditation. Additionally, yoga is part of some Hawaiian culture so it was something I got to experience. I was also able to experience part of the Hawaiian culture by consuming foods available on the island such as poke!

Poke
Photo of UD Flag on boat ride!
Yoga on the beach with the locals.