Hawaii: Learning About Hawaiian Culture

Submitted by Stella Galli on the 2022 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the Department of Biological Sciences…

Aloha! My second week in Honolulu has come to an end, and we have officially transferred over to Hilo! While I am going to miss the city vibe of Honolulu, I am very excited to be here in  beautiful Hilo. Upon arrival, it was clear how different the two places are. Hilo has far less busy streets and is much more mountainous. I can’t wait to look at the volcanos! As I am looking forward to the next few days in Hilo, I have reflected on my past week in Honolulu.

This past week in Honolulu has been very educational when it comes to learning about Hawaii. At the Polynesian Cultural Center, we were able to interact with more than just the Hawaiian culture, but also islands such as Fiji and Samoa. Looking back on this experience – I realize all of the real-life skills I have gained from learning what I did at the PCC: how to make a fire and how to husk a coconut to make coconut oil, for example. This interactive experience was not only educational, but super fun! At the end of the day, we all attended the PCC’s luau where we were able to learn about traditional Hawaiian foods and then watch a fire dancing show – which was not only impressive, but breathtaking! Throughout the week, I not only was able to leave Honolulu with a great understanding of Hawaiian culture, but of all of the Polynesian Islands. Going to Hawaii has been more than just going to beautiful beaches, it is an experience that has given me the opportunity to learn from real people about their cultures.

Stella’s roommate, Zoe, in front of a Fiji temple at the Polynesian Cultural Center
Everyone at the luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center!