Greece: Making the Most of Milos

Submitted by Hannah Kirby on the 2022 spring semester program in Athens, Greece…

This weekend, we flew to Milos. We expected it to be a rainy weekend, but what we did not expect is for the storm to leave us stranded on the island. In Greece, there is a winter weather advisory in most of the regions, and The American College of Greece has moved classes online for today and tomorrow.

Let me take a moment to set the scene of the Milos Airport. It consists of two rooms – one for departures and one for arrivals – and as you can imagine there are minimal flights leaving this airport in the off-season (maybe two or three a week to be more precise). We were supposed to fly back to Athens yesterday, but due to the rain and hail combination on Milos, the flight was cancelled. Luckily, there was another flight scheduled for departure today, but the weather is not looking much better.

So here I sit, in a very nice hotel room paid for by the airline, and all I can do is laugh. This is just part of my grand adventure, right? I’ve gotten to try four different entrees at the one restaurant open on the island (I’m sure the waiter is sick of us by now). I’ve gotten to see the Aegean Sea angry at the world. I’ve gotten to trek through the rain that has blessed me with a few more days in paradise. All I can say is, of all the places to be stuck I’m glad it’s Milos.

The blue waters of the sea contrasting with the dark storm clouds rolling in.
The puddle jumper plane we flew from Athens to Milos in
The roaring Aegean Sea at the Sarakiniko Beach.