Greece: Being Present in the Moment

Submitted by Lily Moon on the 2022 winter session program in Greece sponsored by the Department of English…

As busy and exciting as my first week in Athens was, the second week has been even busier and exciting. This week, we have taken day trips to different parts of Greece including Delphi, Voula, Corinth, Marathon, and we are currently staying in Nafplio. It is hard to pick a favorite place, but on our day trip to Delphi, we stopped in a beautiful little ski town called Arachova for lunch and it was truly amazing. Watching the sun set in this town was nothing like I have ever experienced. As someone who grew up Catholic, visiting Corinth was also very interesting due to its history in the bible and importance in the spread of Christianity.

This week in class, we were talking about Socrates and his take on the unexamined life and how important it is to live an examined life and really take the time to live in the moment and appreciate where you are. Especially thinking back on the last few years of COVID, I am extra appreciative that I am able to have this experience. This week, we have spent a lot of time in the mountains of Greece and I found that places like the ones we have visited really give you the opportunity to take a step back and focus on being present in the moment. This week’s lesson in class in correlation with the beautiful places we visited was very enlightening.

Temple in Corinth
Sunset in Arachova