Greece: Beautiful Views

Submitted by Nicholas Kayatta on the 2022 winter session program in Greece sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

Reflecting on the second week of our Athens program, I have seen so many beautiful sights that still don’t feel real to me. Being able to see the Acropolis at night is a breathtaking view that rivals it during the daytime. Some of my favorite adventures this week have been our hikes. The hike to the Agrocorinth was one of my favorite views this trip. Being able to see the valley below as well as the sea at the same time all while being atop a medieval castle is something I will never forget. The sights of Delphi and the ancient temple to Apollo were equally as pretty. Although there was not much left of the temple, the view looking over the mountain was striking. My other favorite hike has been to a church overlooking the city of Arachova near Delphi. The up and coming ski town was so beautiful nestled in the mountains as the sun was setting in the sky. Also, this week, my friends and I had one of the best meals I’ve ever had. The small family-owned restaurant of Kyklamino in the flea market district had the best feta cheese, fries, and lamb since being in Greece. Nikolas, the owner, was extremely nice to our group and even gave us free olives and fruit. Overall, this week has been excellent in terms of visits, history, and food. I am excited to see what our last week holds.

Medieval castle in Corinth
Corinth
Kyklamino Restaurant