What Hawaii Taught Me

Submitted by Emily Hansell on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Hawaii sponsored by the College of Education and Human Development…

Five weeks later and I am back on the mainland. My last few days in Hawaii were spent constantly doing things before time ran out. On our very last night, we went on a sunset cruise with everyone on the program and once again got to experience some great Hawaiian foods. We were immersed into their culture one final time through songs, dances, and little chants.

Earlier in the week during my free time, I went shark cage diving which was incredible. Before going on this excursion, I was afraid of sharks and knew only what the movies had shown me. The guides taught us that the sharks we had seen are not an aggressive species and are actually kind of lazy. They usually will only eat what’s easy for them to eat. For example, they will listen for the animal’s heart beat and if it’s irregular that means they’re weak and therefore an easy target.

Being in Hawaii, taught me several things about myself and culture in general. I have grown a much greater appreciation for the environment, the land, animals, and have learned how to better cherish humanity. The values in Hawaii are different from those on the mainland. They value family and the land in ways that I’ve never seen here. Everyone cares for one another and strangers are treated as family. I almost never saw litter laying around and if there was litter, someone picked it up. Now that I am back in Delaware, I will practice these values as they have inspired me so that I may continue to better myself and make an impact on the world.

A photo from the shark dive on the North Shore in Hawaii!
Some of the girls and I on our last day! Sunset cruise out of Waikiki Beach Hawaii!