Ireland: The Ring of Kerry and Hidden Treasures

Submitted by Cooper Rothman on the 2020 spring semester program in Limerick, Ireland…

Last weekend, I took a break from studying with the International Society and visited the Ring of Kerry! The ring is one long scenic road that took us around part of the western coast of Ireland, and had amazing views the whole time. Every time I think I’ve seen the most spectacular view there is on this island, I get reminded that there is so much out there for us to explore.

On these trips, it’s easy to get caught up with the crowds of international students looking for the best shot for social media and forget that traveling to lesser known places can be just as rewarding. We visited the small village of Sneem after seeing the main sites on the trip, and I didn’t have much of an expectation for the stop. However, we found a small path under an old bridge and I took this wonderful picture below. While it is important to see the best known sites in Ireland, I learned from this experience that every little stop can have value in meeting new people and visiting new places. This upcoming weekend, my roommates and I decided to visit Galway on our own, another popular spot in Ireland. Hopefully this experience traveling on our own will allow us to capture more of these moments.

The view under a bridge in Sneem