Ireland: Cliffs of Moher

Submitted by Carly Collins on the 2020 spring semester program in Limerick, Ireland…

This week has been absolutely amazing! Classes have started and the course load is not nearly as hard as I worried. Everyone here has been very nice, and because the University of Limerick does welcome many international students the professors are very welcoming and inviting for students to ask questions. On the Sunday before classes started, the university study abroad coordinators took us to the Cliffs of Moher. The Cliffs run almost 14 miles throughout the County of Clare. Driving up to the parking lot, I wasn’t sure how to imagine how big these cliffs would be, and once I was almost 500 feet above the ocean, I realized that they were in fact huge. As my housemates and I walked along the cliff side, I honestly was terrified of how high up we were, but amazed with how beautiful this country is. The morning was a rainy day, but typical for Irish weather, we arrived to a sunny coastline. Words can’t even describe how amazing the cliffs were, and I am very excited to go back with my family when they come. On one side of the entrance, you can walk along the cliffs and then on the other side there was a small watchtower, the O’Brien’s Tower which was built in 1835. The walk along the cliff line was absolutely amazing.

The small white dot in the middle/ right hand side, is O’Brien’s Tower from the other side of the viewing areas.
O’Brien’s Tower
Cliffs of Moher – This picture does not do it justice, the view was amazing.
A wonderful picture of me, my housemates, and some friends!