Unforgettable Weekend in Panama

Submitted by David Haynes on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Panama sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures…

My third week in Panama ended with one of the best weekends of my life. With every experience here, I am reminded of how friendly and generous people are and how beautiful the country is. After the last class of the week, I met a Panamanian student at our university and talked with him quite a bit. The student enthusiastically offered to give me a tour of part of the city and I didn’t think twice before accepting. During the tour, we talked about pretty much everything, comparing our two different cultures and expressing our feelings about the world in general. He practiced his English and I practiced my Spanish and we both helped each other. The experience was amazing and I think he will be a good friend going forward.

On Friday, I visited the canal with the group and afterwards took a bus to another side of the country, Santiago in Veraguas. There, I met up with a friend who I had met when he studied at the ELI in Delaware in the fall. We drove to David in Chiriquí and met up with another friend from the same group at Delaware. The two showed me some of the best hospitality that I have ever experienced. Not only did they let me stay in their homes, but they drove me around all of Chriquí and paid for all of my food. They were proud to show me their country and I will never forget their generosity. I saw mountains, waterfalls, and rivers. This region truly showcases the natural beauty of Panama. We picked tangerines from trees that my friend’s family owns and ate lunch in a tiny family restaurant in the middle of the mountains. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking and every person I met was extremely kind.

I will never forget this weekend in Panama. Before, I felt like I only really knew the city, but now, I feel like I truly experienced so much of the country. For the next weekend (our last in Panama), I think that I will return to the region to meet up with my friends. I can’t wait to explore more of the country and talk with even more people!

The beautiful mountain scenery in the province of Veraguas
Picking tangerines in the province of Veraguas. The family that I stayed with owned some land in the mountains that has about ten trees with the sweet, delicious fruit.
The delicious fruit and the breathtaking scenery of the mountains in Veraguas
A natural rock wall outside of Boquete in the province of Chiriquí
An absolutely beautiful waterfall in the province of Veraguas. In the water below, people relaxed and cooled off with the cold waters of the mountains.