New Zealand Versus the United States

Submitted by Summer Kehl on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Australia and New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Business Administration and the Department of Finance…

I’m currently in Auckland, New Zealand as a part of my 2020 Winter Session study abroad program. We have been very busy here – trying to pack everything in before we head to Sydney, Australia tomorrow for the second part of the program. My favorite part of the progam so far has been reflecting on the differences between our culture in the United States and New Zealand’s culture. I’ve been able to notice the differences everywhere that we go, whether it’s eating in a restaurant, visiting corporations during class time, or traveling to new places. Reflecting on this now, I find it crazy that in the past week and a half, through talking to my tour guides and making attempts to expose myself to the culture around me, I have become so familiar with the culture that permeates the North Island. The ‘Kiwis’ have been eager to teach my friends and I their slang and give us recommendations on where to go next. I’m learning that talking to the citizens about their lifestyle and travels is often even more helpful than any travel app. I’m so grateful to have this opportunity and I’m excited to continue my global citizenship when I travel to Sydney as well as when I return to the United States!

A photo of my friends and I after a hike to Mt. Eden after class
Our company visit to Omania Farm