New Zealand: A Learning Experience

Submitted by Heather Latchford on the 2020 winter session program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of  Kinesiology and Applied Physiology…

It’s been one week in New Zealand and so much has happened. We went on a hike of Signal Hill in Dunedin, had a wildlife tour of the Otago Peninsula and biked the Otago Central Rail Trail. I learned so much on each adventure that makes me appreciate this country a lot more. One of the most impacting messages I’ve gotten from being here is how hard the locals try to love their country. Not only is plastic banned, but they preserve a lot of the land to keep wildlife and nature thriving. The wildlife tour taught me that they do not capture the animals here, but help them when they are needed and are trying to keep animal population numbers up like the yellow- eyed penguins who are endangered. The bike trail had beautiful views and learned that the railroad was removed and the trail was then used for biking to see the beautiful sites of Otago that are being preserved. It was also really fascinating to be able to get so close to wild animals who do not interact with people and ride on an old railroad track which I have never done before to take my time to see and appreciate the amazing landscape.

Otago College
Sea Lions at Otago Peninsula
Yellow-eyed penguin at Otago Peninsula
View from Otago Peninsula
Railroad Station in Dunedin
View from Signal Hill in Dunedin