Italy: Breathtaking Art and Architecture

Submitted by Jennifer Ptak on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Italy sponsored by the Department of English…

This program in Italy is my first experience of going abroad. I was both excited and nervous about this winter session. As I have never been on such a long journey, I did not know what to expect. I arrived at the hotel around 10:30 in the morning and was exhausted. I met the people in my class and we decided to walk around the area and get lunch while our rooms were being prepared. Several hours later, we finally settled in and I was sure that I was going to rest for the evening before the welcome dinner.

Instead, my roommate and I decided to push past the fatigue and explore immediately. There is a basilica near our hotel, so we walked the fifteen minutes there to check it out. We ended up at the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, the largest church in Rome dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was beautiful with the sun setting around it. We went through security and explored the first floor. The interior was stunning and we decided to pay five euros to check out the second floor which has a nativity scene and balcony with a view of the piazza. After checking it out, we headed back to the hotel to meet everyone for dinner. Walking the streets of Rome is surreal because there are so many historical sites and breathtaking art and architecture on every corner. I was very glad that I powered through because it was a great introduction to the city and made me eager to see more.

A street in Rome at sunset
The exterior of the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore
The view from the basilica’s second-floor balcony looking onto the piazza at night