Hawaii: Learning About Fish

Submitted by a student on the 2020 winter session program in Hawaii sponsored by the Department of Biological Sciences…

I have been in Hawaii for four days so far and I have already learned so much. We have gone to a zoo, a museum, and snorkeled in two different locations. Honolulu surprised me because it has a semi-big city environment, yet I can look to one side and see beautiful, green mountains and look to the other side and see the majestic Pacific Ocean. It is an odd mesh of nature and civilization. It’s not my favorite. I would prefer more spacious, natural surroundings. Maybe living in the mountains or a more remote part of the island, for instance. But I appreciate that the location is allowing us to learn about both the culture and nature of Hawaii.

My favorite part so far has been the snorkeling. I love learning about all the different fish species. It is incredible to think that some of the species I am swimming with, I will not see anywhere else in the world! Actually, about one in every four fish species in Hawaii is endemic, meaning they can only be found in Hawaii. It makes sense since the Hawaiian Islands are the most remote set of islands in the world. On the same note, it is mind-blowing that any animal could even make it all the way to Hawaii in the first place. I have very much enjoyed my program so far and I am looking forward to learning so much more.

This photo was taken at a lookout over Hanauma Bay. A very, very long time ago it was a volcano. The crater has now filled in with water and is a great snorkeling location. It is also a protected marine park so visitor numbers are regulated and each guest is educated on the bay’s history, cultural importance, and how to protect it before entering.