France: The Start of Paris Fashion Week

Submitted by Emilee Maull on the 2020 winter session program in Paris, France sponsored by the Department of Art and Design…

Time has flown by since I’ve been in Paris! I can’t believe we only have two weeks left in this beautiful city. Last Saturday, we had a bus tour which allowed us to see so much more of Paris than we’ve been able to explore ourselves. During the tour, we also visited the Bon Marché which is a huge department store here. It was amazing to see how big it was and how much they carried. They had every gourmet food you could ever want, men’s clothing and shoes, women’s clothing and shoes, home decor, and almost anything else you could think of. I spent about 45 minutes browsing through the women’s clothing taking photos of all the amazing luxury brand items. If only the United States had a place like the Bon Marché!

On Monday, we visited the Louvre for the second time to see the masterpieces. I got to see the Mona Lisa which was, of course, an unreal experience!  This week was also the start of Paris Fashion Week, and so far I’ve had the chance to work one show and watch one show. We worked at Walter Van Beirendonck’s show on Wednesday which was amazing! My model Mikkel was great to work with, even though his outfit change was so stressful. All the looks in the show were amazing and I loved the message of the show as well! On Thursday, I was able to watch Rick Owens’ show which was incredible as well. His style is so unique and out there. It was also crazy to be around such influential people in the fashion industry at the show, and two of the Migos members were there too!

On Friday, we had a fashion photography presentation by Professor Deering that taught us a lot about the big names in the industry, especially those who worked for Vogue and Harpers Bazaar. Paris has been the best time of my life and I can’t wait to see what else we get to do in the last two weeks here. Au revoir!

Some of the amazing clothing by Off-White at the Bon Marché
Waiting in the line to see the Mona Lisa upclose! It was so much smaller than I expected, but still so beautiful.
My model, Mikkel, that I dressed at the Walter Van Beirendonck show! It was his first show as well as mine which helped ease my nerves.
An amazing pizza I had for dinner Wednesday night after the show at Pizza Arrivederci. It’s so close to our hotel and some of the best food I’ve had so far!
My view from where we stood at the Rick Owens show on Thursday! His looks were like nothing I had seen before and so different than the ones I saw the day before.