France: The Significance of the Arc de Triomphe

Submitted by Samantha Sawyer on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Paris, France sponsored by the Department of Biological Sciences…

This weekend, I went, along with a few others from my program, to the Arc de Triomphe. During our visit, we were able to get a personal look at the outside of the monument and trek to the top where we were then able to see the entire city. While I have seen the Arc dozens of times before even arriving in Paris, it was incredibly interesting to learn its origins and the smaller details surrounding the structure. Most people view it as simply a pretty monument without truly understanding the historical significance. Within the arc, as pictured, is the French Tomb of the Unknown Soldier that is used to commemorate the soldiers’ lives who were lost and never recovered in WWI. In my schooling prior to this, I had never studied WWI in much depth and it was incredible to see that the number of French lives lost in this war far outweighs those lost in almost all wars that America has fought. It is hard for me to believe that throughout all of my years of history classes that fact simply went unnoticed. This experience allowed me to truly see how differently our countries see our history and how a different perspective can truly change your understanding of those moments.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier