France: Skiing in the French Alps

Submitted by Katherine Regnell on the 2020 winter session program in Paris, France and Geneva, Switzerland sponsored by the School of Nursing…

During the first week of my study abroad experience, I was in Geneva, Switzerland. On one of our first discovery learning experiences, we went to Chamonix, France where Mount Blanc is. This is the highest point of the French Alps and it was absolutely breathtaking. We were taken to the highest point using a gondola lift and took a cog wheel train to the glacier where we climbed 500 stairs to reach the inside. During our gondola lift there were restaurants on the way up the mountain and at the top of the mountain. This was very intriguing to me because I thought of how people were able to get these supplies up to the top of the mountain and how they even built the lift.

I went back to Chamonix with a group of participants I have met through my program in the following days to ski! It was the most incredible experience I have had because I am an avid skier at home and this experience was incomparable to any skiing at home. This outstanding experience at Chamonix has brought us closer together!