France: A Week Full of Reflections

Submitted by Carolina Gomez Casas on the 2020 winter session program in Luxembourg sponsored by the Department of Materials Science, the Department of Physics and the Department of History…

Traveling is more than just exploring new places, it is about learning about different cultures and realizing that we may share similar opinions or experiences, because after all we are all humans…

During this first week of my study abroad program, I can say that I have been filled with surprises and I have been immersed in European culture. Our first weekend excursion was France, where we went to Normandy, a crucial place during World War II. It was there where I realized the connections that different countries have, not only on the political side, but intimate, too. The United States has left footprints and touched the lives of Europeans; when we went to the American Cemetery I felt as if I had more to do than just saying thanks, I had a mission and a purpose to make this world better… As someone who is Colombian, I realize that this life mission starts from the little things we do in our day to day, from being respectful to being empathetic with one another.

It was a week full of reflections during my study abroad program, thoughts which I will always keep with me.

Normandy Beach – monument in memory of rangers

Beach where the soldiers from USA came to Normandy– strategic plan against Germany during WWII.