France: A Tasty Venture

Submitted by Rhoda Bello on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Paris, France sponsored by the Department of Biological Sciences…

This past week has been nothing short of amazing. I have been to various grocery stores, and have seen different exotic wine and foods that all embody France. One place that I will not forget is the large food market that we went to visit. Our guide had told us that the market was one of the largest markets in Paris. While we were there, we were able to try two types of sausages, various cheeses, different types of bread, and a cake called kouglof.

This food tour has made me come to appreciate food a lot more, especially since all of these foods come directly to the shops themselves, with very little food preparation being done. There is more of an interaction between the merchant and the consumer when it comes to their food being prepared. The tour guide also said that it is in these types of settings the merchant and the customer get to know each other on a much more personal level and can even address each other by name because of that interaction. Therefore, I’m making it my goal to be accomplished before the end of this program to be able to go out and shop regularly at one of these markets so that I can experience that interaction. I’m thrilled to see what will be heading my way next!

The photo of two kinds of cow cheeses, one kind of goat cheese, and one kind of sheep cheese, and jam.