Exploring Hawaii

Submitted by Kayla Madore on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Hawaii sponsored by the College of Education and Human Development…

Week one in Hawaii has already been such a life changing experience. Having never traveled this far, especially not by myself it was an experience I was both excited for, but also terrified for. I can confidently say, week one has been a success, and Hawaii feels like home already. As I reflect back on this week, it feels like so much longer. My days have been full of breathtaking views, and so many new sites. It hasn’t all been a smooth ride though. I definitely had an expectation that everything in Hawaii would be easy and stress free. I have quickly learned that that isn’t the case. Arriving to a new island, and navigating a brand new place definitely takes some getting used to. Public transit is the main way I’ve been getting around the island, and learning the bus routes has already been a bit of a bump in the road. A trip to a beautiful waterfall fell a bit flat, after missing the bus, attempting to walk the 3 miles there, and arriving to a sign saying trail closed. It made me realize that it takes time to learn a new place, and a new system of getting around. While I was disappointed I didn’t see a famous Hawaiian waterfall, it helped me reassess my expectations, and factor in some room for changed plans. I also got to walk through the beautiful mountains of Manoa, so I pushed past disappointment and embraced the beauty of Hawaii, however I was experiencing it that day.

Hawaii has always been a dream of mine, and getting to be here has already been a dream come true. But I’ve realized quite quickly that I know much less about Hawaiian history and their culture than I even thought. Week one has blessed me with the chance to hear from Hawaiian born professors. Their insight on the history of Hawaii, and Hawaiian culture opened my eyes to the beauty and pain that they have faced. As a group, we also visited the Bishop Museum which gave even more of an insight into Hawaiian culture and history. All of which is so much more complex, and beautiful than I could have ever imagined.

Waikiki Beach
The Bishop Museum

Mountains in Manoa on the way to Manoa Falls