Australia: Sydney Welcomes Me

Submitted by Mia DeRicco on the 2020 winter session study abroad program in Australia and New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Hospitality Business Management…

I arrived in Manly Beach about a week ago. The quaint beach town I would be living in for the next week to come captured my heart from the beginning. The town of Manly Beach has a beach that runs along the town filled with shops and restaurants. Ranging from Starbucks to unique food restaurants everything is extremely accessible. There are many cute boutiques that make up the Corso, which is the main strip of the town filled with shops and food. The town is quieter in the morning, but the beach is always filled with surfers trying to catch waves at any hour. Even though parts of Australia are on fire and the skies are slightly foggy, this town’s beauty is overwhelming.

While the beach is at one end of the Corso, the Manly Wharf is at the other end. At the Wharf, there is a ferry that takes people over to the city of Sydney. I took it over with friends to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge. This experience was like no other. The view at the top of the bridge was a 360 view of the whole city. I went at night, so everything was lit up including the Opera House and skylines that make up the beautiful city. It was breathtaking and an experience I will never forget. As I have a few days left in Manly Beach, I will cherish the rest of my time here before I head to my next adventure in Hunter Valley!

Sunset at the Wharf
The Corso