Spain: Traveling Alone

Submitted by Nicole Caracciolo on the 2019 fall semester study abroad program in Barcelona, Spain…

On Sunday, I took a dance class in Madrid by myself. I was in London for the weekend with my friends and flew into Madrid from London, took the class, and then took a train home to Barcelona. This was the first time I have ever traveled alone before, so I was a little bit nervous, but mostly excited to navigate my way alone. I waited too late to leave for the airport on Sunday morning and just barely made my flight in time. I totally underestimated how long it would take me to get to the airport, plus security lines and time to get to my gate and terminal, from my hostel. I had to take a bus to the train, then a train to the airport, and then a shuttle to my terminal, and was extremely anxious the entire time. I was truly petrified I would miss my flight and completely worked myself up over it. With literally minutes to spare, I made it to my gate as more than half the plane had already boarded the flight. I learned from that experience to always make sure I am aware of how long it will take me to get to the airport in countries I am unfamiliar with, especially when I am alone. I was lucky this time, but I was very close to not being so.

This picture was taken in the MNAC- Museum of National Art of Cataluña. My professor took our class here for a field trip and we walked around the modern art wing of the museum.