Barcelona, Spain: La Mercè Festival

Submitted by Nicole Caracciolo on the 2019 fall semester study abroad program in Barcelona, Spain…

This week in Barcelona, my friends and I went to see Sagrada Familia, walk around Parc Güell, and attended some events of La Mèrce. The Sagrada Familia was absolutely one of the most incredible things I have ever seen in my life. The architecture is beyond incredible. I went to the Giants Procession of La Mèrce, which was really cool to me because I have never experienced a festival of another culture before. I have been to a handful of small festivals/fairs at home, but they are nothing like La Mèrce. We all went to an outdoor concert the first night in one of the city squares and the next day went to the Fire Run. The Fire Run consisted of people literally walking and running through fire, fully protected, and finishing with a huge firework/sparkler show in the center.

This was the Giants Procession on the opening day of La Mèrce. These huge giants were held up underneath by one person each.