Spain: Visiting the Albayzín

Submitted by Patrick Tighe on the 2019 summer session program in Granada, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

The Albayzín quarter of Granada is most well-known for its incredible views of the Alhambra. What many people are unaware of, is that like the Alhambra, the Albayzín quarter has a deep and interesting history of its own.

When you walk pass the river in the city center of  Granada and head upwards towards the Albayzín, you see an immediate and distinct change. In the city center, Granada looks like a typical city with roundabouts, businessmen, traffic lights, Burger King’s and more tellings of the New World’s influence. Yet in the Albayzín this pervasive influence of Western Society is all but gone. The streets are winding and narrow, for in times long ago this was needed for shade and protection from the elements and invading societies. Narrow streets meant for shade in times when air conditioning didn’t exist, and the complicated maze-like nature of the area made it difficult for opposing armies to strike the native people.

Personally, the most interesting part of the Albayzín quarter was the Mosque. When Ferdinand and Isabella took over Granada in the mid 1400’s they destroyed all of the Muslim heritage forcing those who practiced Islam to leave the city  or convert to Christianity. The influence of the Catholic Monarchs can be seen throughout the city. Nearly all of the original mosques of Granada are now churches that practice the Christian faith. Yet after a long and winding walk through the tight streets of the Albayzín, one of the most beautiful Mosque’s I have ever seen sits. With its beautiful Arabian architecture, open-air courtyards, and flowing fountains it is easy to see the beauty of Islam that hides in Granada. I am not a very religious person, but as a political science major, I have spent a great deal of time studying the influence of Islam on the modern world, as it is the world’s fastest growing religion. Further, it is heart-warming to see that despite a deep history of persecution of Muslims in Spain, they are finally allowed to practice their religion in peace.

Considering that I am a political science major, as mentioned previously, it is of great interest to me to study how the New World influences European societies. I find this so intriguing because without the great European societies the New World would not exist. For it was Isabella herself who allowed Christopher Columbus to sail across the ocean and discover new lands. Interestingly, now it is the western world who’s influence pervades Eastern and European societies around the globe. This is something I plan on studying more throughout my travels and upon my return home to the States.

Why is it that in the Albayzín quarter the streets are filled with locals enjoying coffee at intimate cafes and tapas at quaint outdoor bars, yet in the center of the city many people are enjoying Whoppers at Burger King and Frozen Iced Coffees at Dunkin Donuts? This is a question I hope to have an answer to at some time in the near to distant future.

Thank you for reading and thank you to the Albayzín quarter for capturing my heart and my interest.

View of the famed Alhambra castle from the under-appreciated and equally as beautiful Albayzín quarter of Granada