Spain: Paella

Submitted by Kailey Schissler on the 2019 summer session program in Granada, Spain sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

Immediately after finishing lunch Saturday, I kicked myself for not taking a picture of the beautiful paella our host bother had prepared. I had been waiting to try paella since we came here, and homemade paella had to be the best I could have. Our host mom said she had purchased the mussels, shrimp, crab and calamari that afternoon so it would be fresh. She had already told us how the seafood here is expensive, but very good. Our host mom ‘s son Juan joined us for lunch that day. Juan spoke a little English, but mostly Spanish. He was very understanding when I asked him to speak slower, and we all chatted during lunch. After the meal, I asked if one day she would teach me how to make paella. I loved the paella and would love to know how to make it at home, and I also thought it would be a good opportunity to practice new words in Spanish. She explained a little bit of the process at the table, but I am hoping to have a whole lesson one day if possible. Lots of restaurants offer paella, sometimes for a good price, but often it’s quite expensive. I don’t think any restaurant paella could compare to the homemade lunch we had that day.

Some other highlights of this week’s meals were fresas con leche, or strawberries and milk. I have never had strawberries this way, but I wish I had before. It was amazing. We also had empanadas, which I have had before, but slightly different. My late grandfather on my mom’s side had taught my dad when he was younger, and he still likes to make them in his memory. Cuban vs Spanish empanadas have some differences, but both are absolutely delicious. I continue to enjoy every meal I have in Granada.