England: One Second Everyday

Submitted by Natalie Hett on the 2019 summer session program in England sponsored by the Department of Art & Design…

With week two in London under my belt, I again have nothing, but great things to say about my experience so far. I can feel myself getting a lot closer to the people in my major and it makes
me so excited to spend the rest of my program with such amazing people. This week was so busy compared to week one. It made it increasingly more difficult to process everything going on. The hectic nature of theprogram, however, has actually helped me to learn how to slow down and take every moment in. I’ve also been using an app called “1 Second Everyday” where I record a 1 second video on the app everyday and it will put together a video of all my daily clips at the end of the program.

Another lesson that I learned is that time management on a program like this can be challenging. The balance of wanting to explore every part of London with having assignments was and is going to continue to be tough, but I’ve managed to make a game out of trying to stay productive. I told myself I can’t go to the same coffee shop to work twice so it’s become fun for me to hunt down
local places and make it more exciting for myself. I’m really excited to visit the V&A Museum next week and I’m looking forward to the other fun things that we’ll do in the coming days.

This is a picture inside UAL, Central Saint Martins during a visit to their degree show. I was drawn to the fun orange decals on the glass and the minimalistic look of the inside of the building.
I took this photo right after a studio visit with famous photographer, Nadav Kander.
This picture is from a visit to MagCulture, a shop that sells over 500 magazines. Their instagram photos are entirely this style, with the magazine on their red striped and black speckled floors.