England: Great Speakers

Submitted by Rachael Royer on the 2019 summer session program in England sponsored by the Department of Art & Design…

This week was amazing. I would say one of the best, but we’ve only been here for two weeks. The highlight was definitely our speakers.  On Wednesday, we saw the two best speakers ever, in my opinion. We saw Michael Johnson and then when to Studio Moross. They were so different from any other studios and so different from each other. Johnson Banks just really opened my mind to the process and the world of design. He gave us 25 clear tips on how to be weirder and better designers and that was out of the 233 tips in his new book. Studio Moross was some of the best, more lighthearted work I’ve ever seen. They had a clear style: bright, colorful and bold. That is the style I feel typically drawn to and I loved seeing it in action. It really inspired my VCUK blog style. We also got lunch at Pepper Tree, a Thai restaurant. Thai food is my absolute favorite cuisine, so that was just incredible. I also ate three peanut butter blondies, so yeah Wednesday was pretty good. Friday was also really cool. We got to go to the Globe Theatre and see some Shakespeare. My Mom teaches English, so she was really excited about that. All in all, this past week was so formative and really felt like we had time to embrace the city and get our work done.