New Zealand: Leadership

Submitted by Nonso Iwu on the 2019 winter session study abroad program in New Zealand sponsored by the Department of Computer and Information Sciences…

As this program has unfolded, it has shown itself to be a very enlightening experience. With the start of the new year, I had been trying to reinforce the spirit of leadership within myself. Early into the program, I noticed that my colleagues were a bit more active in the planning and facilitation of the sub-events of the program. I am well aware that comparison is the robber of happiness, however, when I saw them jumping into opportunities to lead, I was not asking myself, “Why am I not as capable as them?” but “Why am I not stepping forward?”.

My colleagues were eager to participate in any situation that was presented to them. They seemed to be moving and thinking so much faster than I was. I had a deep admiration for their drive. Every one of them had their quirks, strengths, and flaws. But when the time came to rise to the occasion, they all buzzed and collaborated, slinging ideas left and right, packaged in vibrant enthusiasm and confidence. It was safe to say that I was envious.

To take initiative with confidence became an overarching theme during the program. One notable challenge was the preparation to go to the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves on the northern island of New Zealand during our free weekend. The trip required those of us on the trip to rent a car and drive five hours to a hostel. These were all things I had never done before. A five hour drive? On the left side of the road? Insane. I don’t even drive myself around normally when I’m in America. To call this a blind leap in the darkness was an understatement.

Since I am writing this, thankfully we survived the trip. With the theme of leadership in mind, I saw myself incorporate the attitude of jumping into new challenges into my actions. Even after the trip and into the following classroom meetings, I was able to build my own momentum before tackling a new discussion or task. Looking back, I am thankful that I had been a part of this particular group of students and I hope to continue to emulate the spirit of a leader.

Black sand beach sunset in Marokopa, New Zealand