Feeling Lucky In Barbados

Submitted by Jilliana Carille on the 2019 winter session program in Barbados sponsored by the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences and the Department of Hospitality Business Management…

The sunset in Barbados was a view that I could never get tired of seeing. Every single time, my friends and I went to the beach, I would be sureto stay until 6 o’clock pm in order to watch the sunset, and return home afterwards. When I would watch the sun slowly move below the horizon, I always told myself that I was living in the present. Of course, some days, I would fill my camera roll up with pictures of the same sunset, but other days, it was better to see it with only my eyes. Pictures could not do the sunset any justice for its beauty. I would say to myself and to others, “Put your phone down and just take a look at where you are right now.” It was something that always reminded me of how lucky I was to be a part of this study abroad program – to be able to visit beautiful Barbados, to learn about daily life here, the culture, and for an incredible service learning placement experience.

This is one of the many beautiful sunsets I had the opportunity to capture in Barbados. The view is on the beach at Zacchio’s Restaurant in Holetown, Barbados. This picture was taken on Tuesday, January 29th at 5:52 pm.