Costa Rica: My Last Week – Looking Back

Submitted by Katelyn Shelly on the 2019 winter session program in Costa Rica sponsored by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures…

Looking back on my time here in Costa Rica, I really feel as though I learned so much about the country, the culture, the language, and myself. It has also made me realize a few things. Seeing how much Costa Ricans value and prioritize their time with family has made me want to do more of this when I get home with my family. Another thing is that my Mom sometimes scolds me for having a laid-back, always optimistic, and go-with-the-flow attitude. The “pura vida” way of life resonated with me and has really shown me that you can have this type of attitude and still work hard, have priorities, goals, etc. and be successful. It’s not a bad thing in moderation!

While talking with my host parents during breakfast and dinner every day, it has progressively gotten easier for me to say what’s on my mind with less hesitation and more confidence. I am grateful that they have provided me with the perfect environment to practice my Spanish without fear of judgement.

While all this was amazing, I think what had the most personal impact on me was my experiences with my host parents and their family. If it weren’t for them making me feel “at home” here in Costa Rica, I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed all the other things as much as I did. They opened their home and their lives to us from day one and treated us like we were family. They constantly told us stories about their childhood, their family, their experiences, etc. They always asked us about our day whether we were just had class or an excursion. It was nice having them to come home to and to ask questions about anything from the language to the culture and more. My previous study abroad experience in Spain was great, but it was very different because I did not live with a host family. Now that I know what a difference it makes on your overall experience, I would choose to live with a host family every time if I had the chance to study abroad again. To be honest, I’m really not sure what I would change if I were to study abroad again. I would probably go to a different Spanish-speaking country just to get as many different cultural experiences as I can. I also might try to get a little further out of my comfort zone and talk to some more locals.

Overall, my time here in Costa Rica has been nothing short of amazing. Our excursions were fun, but also helped me learn so much about the culture and the country with our wide range of experiences from tico family gatherings, to the historical city of San José, to the volcanoes, the beach, the rainforest and more! This temporary home has done so much for me. Time to find my next adventure. PURA VIDA!

La Paz Waterfalls

My Lovely Host Parents (& roommate)