British Virgin Islands: Surgery And Nature

Submitted by Heather Newkirk on the 2019 winter session study abroad program in the Virgin Islands sponsored by the School of Nursing…

Today was my last day of clinical in Peebles Hospital (in Tortola). I was placed in the operating room which they call the operating theatre and it was an amazing experience. The nurses, surgeons, and staff were welcoming and showed me so much about their medical field. I still cannot believe how much I have been fortunate enough to see especially regarding nursing. Outside of the clinical setting, we went to Jost Van Dyke, snorkeled at the Indians and Norman Island Caves, and I paddle boarded with turtles. I see something new everyday and the people we continue to meet are each unique, but they also paint the perfect picture of the culture here. I am so sad for my program to come to an end next week, but I look forward to the many adventures we will have on St. John!

Snorkeling at the Indians, which is an amazing spot to see many fish and coral
Our view of Jost Van Dyke as we traveled down the windy road to the beach
We watched the sunset on the beach, after clinical to relax and enjoy all that Tortola has to offer