At Peace In Barbados

Submitted by Lindsey Auerbach on the 2019 winter session program in Barbados sponsored by the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences and the Department of Hospitality Business Management…

Our first cultural excursion was a historical tour of the island. Joanne and Dr. Gaines-Hanks said we would be driving around the island and to the countryside. I thought to myself, how “country” of a countryside could Barbados actually be?” We got to this one stop, Cherry Tree Hill. No picture can do this place justice. I’m mesmerized. When you think of Barbados, you think of beaches and rum and clubs, but Cherry Tree Hill is the exact opposite. I stood on a hill overlooking a huge part of the island. There was a nice breeze, and the view made me feel at peace. I realized there is always more to something than what you initially think. Even though, we had only been in Barbados for a few days at this point, this overlook gave me a calm feeling which allowed me to reflect on what has happened so far in my journey to Barbados. This country is beautiful and in order to really know the life and culture of the Bajan people, you need to experience every part of it and the countryside is one of them.